College English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
College English Forum

A forum for students in Derek Brown's Comm1007 class

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
adamon038

Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch Empty
PostSubject: Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch   Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey Hey All!

Since last weeks review I've been working to outline my paragraphs before I begin writing the assignment. I've chosen to have 5 paragraphs since I tend to be pretty wordy. Here is a sample of my process. I've included the characters, the setting, the main action and the tone of each paragraph. Any feedback is welcome.

Paragraph 1
Characters: Derek, Greg & The Bull
Setting: onboard a train entering a rail-yard, an uncomfortable muddy hiding place to the side of the yard
Main Action: Greg & Derek hang off the side of a train as it enters the yard, once inside the pair scurry off into the thick bush, Derek evaluates the situation establishing the consequences & danger of being discovered, they spot “the bull” searching the car they were just riding in, Derek begins to flashback to the beginning of their train ride.
Tone: Mysterious, Dangerous

Paragraph 5
Characters: Derek & Greg, nameless housemates
Setting: Run down punk-house, a party is winding down, a few stragglers sit around a fire pit some huddling together for warmth.
Main Action: Perspective pulls back to reveal Derek is telling the story years later around a fire, Derek explains how Greg laughed while they picked burs off of Derek’s pack & jacket for the next few hours of their trip, Greg made it to Winnipeg much to the lovers delight, the lover and Greg now sit arm in arm while Derek finishes the story, the narrative ends with Greg nearly falling over when he drunkenly suggests they hop out back to Halifax that night for old time sake.
Tone: Nostalgic, Funny
Back to top Go down
AARMON364

Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch Empty
PostSubject: Great Way To Help    Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am

This is a great way to help figure out what you want to say and how you want to say it. This is a great way for those who end up with writers block to get thru it. I look forward to seeing more of this strory afro
Back to top Go down

Narrative Assignment: Vertical Outline / Story Arch
Page 1 of 1