Posts : 34
Join date : 2012-09-10
Location : Toronto
|Subject: Notes: Monday, November 19th 9AM Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:42 pm|| |
Monday, November 19th
- Annotated bibliography (group assignment) due.
- We filled out a sheet evaluating our group work/experience.
- Handout of APA sample essay. You can see it here: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23371461/APA-Sample-Essay
Some key points in the APA sample essay:
- Title page should have:
- Course (optional)
- Teacher name
- Date (tip date of completion not date the assignment is due. Make you appear
- Words count (not on sample essay but is a must for this class)
- Top right hand corner should be the running head consisting
of the first 3 words of title and the page number.
- Page numbers START on title page.
- No need to have the words RUNNING HEAD or to use ALL CAPS in
- No abstract is required in this class.
- This particular sample essay starts with a 2 part thesis
statement that has background and established them main idea. It is clear and
- Use block quotes (long quotes from other sources) sparingly
and correctly. Paraphrasing is preferred.
- Anything in quotes should be cited!
- Italics are for titles and long documents. They lend emphasis
to make text appear different.
- Hypothetical speech should be in italics not quotes.
- Don’t rely too heavily on a single source or single section
of a source. Varying your sources shows the depth and breadth of your learning.
- (as cited in Berg, 2011, Forward section) is a citation for
a source within a source. Also from the forward of the material so it lacks a
page number. Forwards of more than 1 page are numbered i, ii, iii and should be
cited as such.
- All quantitative information (stats, numbers, etc) has to be
- Sub heads should only be used when it contributes to the
understanding of information is broken down.
- (Fenlon, March 28, 2007, p. A1) = front page news
Bring work in progress for feedback