College English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
College English Forum

A forum for students in Derek Brown's Comm1007 class

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The racist panties blog post

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derek
Admin
Derek

The racist panties blog post Empty
PostSubject: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 am

Back to top Go down
https://comm1007-2012-2013.canadian-forum.com

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:53 pm

A website for the Indian Arts and Craft Act of 1990

www.doi.gov/iacb/act.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 am

Urban Outfitters isn't suggesting they have hired aboriginals to fashion their clothing line. I think that the very obvious unauthentic appearance of their product line speaks to that effect.

If I were to make thongs with the names of various countries or states on them, or various religions even, have I implied that they were in fact made by individuals from these countries, states, or religious backgrounds? Am I not entitled to express my own artistic creativity with the use of the cultural influences around me, as long as I am not fabricating information about its creation? Does it mean that I am implying those people from those countries, states, or religions are sluts? Does wearing a thong even make a person a slut?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

mrthurs98623 wrote:

If I were to make thongs with the names of various countries or states on them, or various religions even, have I implied that they were in fact made by individuals from these countries, states, or religious backgrounds? Am I not entitled to express my own artistic creativity with the use of the cultural influences around me, as long as I am not fabricating information about its creation? Does it mean that I am implying those people from those countries, states, or religions are sluts? Does wearing a thong even make a person a slut?

Truish - if we were talking about art - but this is commerce and there is a little bit of legislation that pertains to this type of cultural borrowing:

Quote :
The company’s actions violate the Federal Indian Arts and Crafts act of 1990 and the Federal Trade Commission Act. According to the Department of the Interior:

“The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990 (P.L. 101-644) is a truth-in-advertising law that prohibits misrepresentation in marketing of Indian arts and crafts products within the United States. It is illegal to offer or display for sale, or sell any art or craft product in a manner that falsely suggests it is Indian produced, an Indian product, or the product of a particular Indian or Indian Tribe or Indian arts and crafts organization, resident within the United States. If a business violates the Act, it can face civil penalties or can be prosecuted and fined up to $1,000,000”.

Back to top Go down
https://comm1007-2012-2013.canadian-forum.com

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Quote :
in a manner that falsely suggests it is Indian produced, an Indian product, or the product of a particular Indian or Indian Tribe or Indian arts and crafts organization, resident within the United States.

They have not falsely suggested anything about the creation of their products.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The racist panties blog post   The racist panties blog post Empty

Back to top Go down

The racist panties blog post
Page 1 of 1