College English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
College English Forum

A forum for students in Derek Brown's Comm1007 class

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
adamon038

ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am Empty
PostSubject: ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am   ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Derek had assigned us all to groups for peer and professor review of our Narrative Essay Proposals. These are notes for the 2nd (9:25am) and 3rd (9:50am) which were conducted at the same time.

Derek's Tips:
Titles are like Staples: they show proof of review & evaluation of your work.
Break up assignments into smaller chunks over a long period of time, this gives time for the unconscious brain to click in and provide feedback.

Our Next Step:

take 5-10 minutes
sketch out / visualize the story arch.
map where you plan to establish the complication, paragraph breaks and the climax.

take 10-30 minutes
sketch out a Vertical Plan/Outline of the story broken into separate paragraphs. include the following:
main ideas, connection between main ideas, which characters include "invisible" characters (i.e. the waiter, the bus driver etc.), main interactions / actions (i.e. an argument, break up), type of language vocab and tone you plan to use (i.e. funny, tragic, violent etc.)

Begin writing paragraph

- Write one paragraph by next class.
- Use this to establish the style for rest of paragraphs
- Try writing the easiest paragraph first.
- Recognize total # of paragraphs to determine word count for individual paragraphs.
- Dialogue is not a part of the curriculum & requires a different writing style which must be done correctly.
- If you wish to use dialogue in your assignment research how to do it correctly
- Avoid abstraction, focus on hard details
- Stay believable, within reality
- Keep background details in the background
- Reader must stay with the protagonist, if the reader can predict what will happen the story becomes boring.
- If you have a specific/unique setting the reader might not me familiar. Tone and choice of details is important.

Derek will review our assignments as we work on them if you ask him. Only bring one paragraph at a time, this is enough for him to get a feel for your work.
Back to top Go down
CELMON204

ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am   ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:52 am

FABULOUS flower
Back to top Go down

ACCZ's Notes: Monday Sept 24, 9am
Page 1 of 1