College English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
College English Forum

A forum for students in Derek Brown's Comm1007 class

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Psychology of Swearing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek
Admin
Derek

The Psychology of Swearing Empty
PostSubject: The Psychology of Swearing   The Psychology of Swearing EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Ever wonder why swear so much?

On the Psychology of Swearing: Could cursing be good for us?

CAUTION: Naughty word alert. Do not read if you are easily offended by words.
Back to top Go down
https://comm1007-2012-2013.canadian-forum.com
bramon643

The Psychology of Swearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Psychology of Swearing   The Psychology of Swearing EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I was hoping for more vulgarity than that! I am curious how they determined that men swear "more offensively" than women. Offense is a very subjective thing to quantify. I have always found it interesting how it is the language and not the idea behind the language that is found to be offensive. I find the Dave Matthews Band offensive but I am not going to flip out if it is played in front of my child (bad example, I don't have children). In some ways swearing can be the most effective form of communication. Given the utilitarian nature of some swear words it would be a shame for them to go unused. The word Fuck is like the English languages version of a Swiss Army Knife. It can be a noun, a verb, an adjective. It can express joy, anger, sorrow, surprise...It's like the word Smurf only it still has the potential added bonus of shock value.
Back to top Go down

The Psychology of Swearing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
College English Forum :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: