College English Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
College English Forum

A forum for students in Derek Brown's Comm1007 class

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derek
Admin
Derek

Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information Empty
PostSubject: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Do the internet and - more importantly - the tools we use to navigate and gather information on the net create greater possibilities of information, or coccoon us by limiting the flow of information.

THE FILTER BUBBLE: WHAT THE INTERNET IS HIDING FROM YOU

This has obvious application to your education and research. What do you think?

(Please read the article before commenting and try to connect comments to the work presented.)

Last edited by Derek on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://comm1007-2012-2013.canadian-forum.com

PostSubject: YOU 'know' what THEY want you to know...   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Corporations' selective streaming of the information revealed online is something that I can vaguely recall from my limited knowledge in marketing strategies, but I never made the connection as to how strongly it could affect my research results. I think that students should be educated on how to conduct their research with this obstacle in mind, and the best means or tactics to get around it.

It goes without saying however, that in any research we do, that we need to be aware of our own biases and take the right steps to ensure that we are not limiting our minds to what we think we already know.

Challenge yourself. If you prove yourself wrong, then congratulations, you have just enlightened yourself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Ted Talk on filter bubbles:
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

It's a scary thing. I wish there were an option on Google or Facebook to just see a standardized and complete feed of information.

I know filter bubbles were affecting my information intake a ton. After seeing that TED Talk, I started trying to grab information from sources that I'd normally never go to.

EDIT: Found a search engine that tries to combat this:
www.duckduckgo.com
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 am

The problem i see with having so many media systems is we are losing our ability to organize our thoughts collectively. Most semi formal systems such as facebook and blog posting are prone to obsolescence and disempower individuals from reaching more people. Also the self identified advocates for the use of these mediums are often cynical and diminish the value of those who contribute new content.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: A Thought   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 10:04 pm

From what I understand there are more cons than pros to these filter bubbles. It's best to broaden one's horizons, instead of confining oneself to limit sources of knowledge. But even if google, etc does give an option, will anyone really bother to peek out of their bubble? As creatures of habit, not many people will want to expose themselves to something that challenges their preconcieved notions. It's doubtful the search engines and whatnot would make an option to tone down the filters.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:51 am

bcweds4717 wrote:
As creatures of habit, not many people will want to expose themselves to something that challenges their preconcieved notions.

That's where critical thinking skills come in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm choosing this topic for the exam because Google will filter my research so that it is different from everyone else's. This self-aware meta-contribution to the essay will take my research to a new level of existence.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm

kfthurs9794 wrote:
I'm choosing this topic for the exam because Google will filter my research so that it is different from everyone else's. This self-aware meta-contribution to the essay will take my research to a new level of existence.

Confusing me makes me feel like a simpleton and that makes me resentful and that makes me angry and that makes me mark much harder.

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Derek wrote:
Confusing me makes me feel like a simpleton and that makes me resentful and that makes me angry and that makes me mark much harder.

Twisted Evil
Fine - I'm doing my essay on the Wikipedia article about Kim Kardashian.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:45 am

That's where critical thinking skills come in.[/quote]

Yes, but with increasing dependence on technology and receiving our information faster, most people do not want to have to think critically, because its "harder", and it takes longer. (Or so I find)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information   Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information Empty

Back to top Go down

Information Bubbles - Think About HOW We Get Our Information
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
College English Forum :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: